Hautrage Military Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
The village of Hautrage was in German hands during almost the whole of the First World War. The military cemetery was begun by the Germans in August and September 1914, and in the summer of 1918 they brought into it a large number of British graves of 1914, mostly of the 2nd Cavalry and 5th Infantry Divisions, from the surrounding battlefields and local cemeteries. After the Armistice 24 British graves were brought in from COUVIN, MARCHE, MARIEMBOURG and THUIN GERMAN CEMETERIES and from COLLARMONT GERMAN CEMETERY, CARNIERES. 85 German graves were brought in from the country South-West of Mons.
There are now 235 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War in the cemetery. 60 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to five soldiers known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials commemorate casualties buried in Marche German Cemetery (Belgian Luxembourg), whose graves could not be found on concentration.
The cemetery also contains 537 German war graves.
- German (185)
- United Kingdom (175)
- Army (360)