Adanac Military Cemetery, Miraumont
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
The villages of Miraumont and Pys were occupied on 24-25 February 1917 following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. They were retaken by the Germans on 25 March 1918, but recovered the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division on the following 24 August. Adanac Military Cemetery (the name was formed by reversing the name "Canada") was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the Canadian battlefields around Courcelette and small cemeteries surrounding Miraumont. One grave (Plot IV, Row B, Grave 30) was left in its original position.
There are now 3,187 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War in this cemetery. 1,709 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate 13 casualties known or believed to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
- United Kingdom (822)
- Canadian (562)
- New Zealand (64)
- Australian (34)
- Army (1465)
- Navy (16)
- Air Force (1)