La Kreule Military Cemetery 

Historical  Information (Source: CWGC)

La Kreule Military Cemetery was opened in April 1918 by the 1st and 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Stations, which came back from Outtersteene ahead of the German advance, and the 17th, which arrived from Lijssenthoek. These three stations, known collectively as "Ana Jana Siding", were posted to the north of La Kreule, but in the middle of April they withdrew to Blendecques, near St. Omer, and the cemetery was then used by heavy artillery and fighting units. In October 1918, the 17th Casualty Clearing Station returned with the 8th and the 64th and the cemetery was closed at the end of the month.


The cemetery contains 576 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 11 German war graves. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.


Served with

  • United Kingdom (455)
  • Australian (78)
  • South African (41)
  • German (10)
  • Canadian (2)

Served in

  • Army (583)
  • Air Force (3)
La Kreule MC
PDF – 147.6 KB