Meaulte Military Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Meaulte was held by Commonwealth forces (and inhabited by three quarters of its civilian population) from 1915 to 26 March 1918, when it was evacuated after a rearguard fight by the 9th (Scottish) Division. It was recaptured by the 12th (Eastern) Division and tanks on 22 August 1918. The military cemetery was begun in December 1915, and used until February 1917. A few further burials were made after the recapture of the village and after the Armistice, graves (mainly of 1918) were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields and other burial grounds,

 

The cemetery also contains an unknown soldier from MEAULTE CHURCHYARD, brought in 1936. Meaulte Military Cemetery contains 312 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 21 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials (three of which are in Row E) are erected to eleven casualties believed to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (285)
  • Indian (6)
  • Australian (1)
  • Canadian (1)

Served in

  • Army (292)
  • Air Force (1)
Meaulte MC
PDF – 37.7 KB