Ledeghem Military Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
Ledeghem was almost captured on 19 October 1914 by the 10th Hussars, who were forced to retire the same day. It then remained in German hands for four years. On 1 October 1918, the 9th (Scottish) Division captured the village, but could not hold the whole of it; it was finally cleared by the 29th Division on 14 October. The church, the school and the civil hospital of Ledeghem were used by the Germans as hospitals, and in October 1914 to September 1918, they buried German and Commonwealth casualties in three cemeteries in the commune. Ledeghem Military Cemetery was made by the 29th Division (as "Ledeghem New Cemetery") in October 1918. The graves of 14 casualties who died in October 1914 and September and October 1918, were removed to this cemetery in October 1951 from Ledeghem Churchyard.
There are now 85 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War in this cemetery. 17 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to two soldiers believed to be buried among them, and one whose grave was destroyed by shell fire in Ledeghem Churchyard. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.
- United Kingdom (68)
- Army (68)