Estaires Communal Cemetery Extension
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Estaires town was occupied by French cavalry on the 15 October 1914, and passed at once into British hands. On the 10 April 1918 it was captured by the enemy, after an obstinate defence by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division; and it was finally retaken by British troops at the beginning of September 1918. The town was a Field Ambulance centre as early as November 1914, and later the 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station was posted in it. It was later "adopted" by the County Borough of Plymouth. Estaires Communal Cemetery was used for British burials from the early days of November 1914 to June 1917, and two burials of September 1918 are in Plot II, Row P. Estaires Communal Cemetery Extension was used from April 1917 to April 1918, and again in September-November 1918. The Plots are numbered IV and V, in continuation of the numbering for the Communal Cemetery. The Portuguese graves of June-August 1917 and two French graves were removed after the Armistice. A German Plot of 63 graves, made on the North side during the enemy occupation in 1918, has been removed. There are a total of 875 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war here, 63 of which are unidentified.
There are 9 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-45 War, killed during the withdrawal of the British Expeditionary Force to Dunkirk at the end of May 1940. There are also 14 Non Commonwealth burials in C.W.G.C. care. The five Plots cover an area of 3,336 square metres.
- United Kingdom (618)
- Australian (139)
- New Zealand (56)
- Canadian (6)
- German (6)
- Indian (6)
- Army (831)