47th London Division Memorial, High Wood
Historical Information (Wikipedia)
Known today as Bois des Fourcaux, High Wood was a major German stronghold until it was taken and held by the British, after numerous attempts spanning two months, in September 1916, with the assistance of underground mining.
Various British attack methods were employed: a cavalry charge, infantry assaults, gas attacks, flame thrower attacks, machine gun barrages, tanks - and mine warfare.
The wood was eventually carried by the 47th (London) Division, to whom a memorial has been dedicated at the wood.