Noeux-les-Mines Communal Cemetery Extension

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

The COMMUNAL CEMETERY at Noeux-les-Mines was used by the Commonwealth forces (in succession to the French) from June 1915 to August 1917. The earlier burials were carried out by units and field ambulances but in April 1917, the 7th Casualty Clearing Station began to use the cemetery. It contains 980 Commonwealth burials of the First World War.

 

The EXTENSION was begun in August 1917 and used until December 1918, chiefly by the 6th and 7th Casualty Clearing Stations. It contains 304 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 12 German war graves. The Commonwealth plot and extension were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

 

Communal

Served with

  • United Kingdom (756)
  • Canadian (226)
  • Indian (1)

Served in

  • Army (981)
  • Air Force (1)
  • Miscellaneous (1)

Extension

Served with

  • United Kingdom (231)
  • Canadian (71)
  • German (11)
  • South African (1)

Served in

  • Army (311)
  • Air Force (3)