Orival Wood Cemetery, Flesquieres
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Flesquieres was attacked by the 51st (Highland) Division, with tanks, on the 20th November 1917, in the battle of Cambrai, but held for a time by a German officer with a few men; it was captured on the 21st. It was lost in the late stages of the battle, and retaken on the 27th September 1918, by the 3rd Division. The Bois d'Orival is a small wood on the road from Flesquieres to Fontaine-Notre Dame, cleared by the 2nd Grenadier Guards on the 27th September 1918. The Cemetery was begun in November 1917, during the Battle of Cambrai; used again in September-October 1918; and enlarged in 1930 by the transfer of graves from other cemeteries.
There are now nearly 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, ten are unidentified and others, identified collectively but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the superscription, "Buried near this spot". Special memorials record the names of two United Kingdom soldiers, buried in Flesquieres Chateau Cemetery, whose graves could not be found. There are also 20 German burials here. The cemetery covers an area of 794 square metres and is enclosed by a stone rubble wall.
- United Kingdom (275)
- German (8)
- Army (274)
- Navy (9)