Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Dunkirk witnessed the landing of the British Expeditionary Force in September and October 1914. Throughout the First World War it was a seaplane base and later an American Naval Air Service base. The town was also a French hospital centre and the 8th Canadian Stationary Hospital was there from November 1918 to April 1919. Although an estimated 7,500 shells and bombs fell on the town during the war, ship building and other port activities continued. However, it was in 1940 that its name acquired a new significance.
The memorial takes the form of an avenue of pylons on which the names are engraved, leading to a building of brick and stone with a coper roof. At the entrance to the avenue are two columns, surmounted by carved stone urns bearing inscriptions in English and French.
A shrine contains the memorial register of names. At the back of the shrine facing the entrance is a great window of etched and engraved glass. Designed by John Hutton, it depicts scenes from the evacuation. The artist and glass engraver was born in New Zealand in 1906.
Dunkirk Memorial commemorates more than 4,500 casualties of the British Expeditionary Force who died or were captured there and have no known grave. The cemetery and memorial are open daily.
- United Kingdom (4508)
- Indian (5)
- Army (4513)