Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery

History Information (Source: CWGC) 

For much of the First World War, Vlamertinghe (now Vlamertinge) was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances. Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July. Although the cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917.

 

The cemetery now contains 1,812 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (1602)
  • Canadian (154)
  • Australian (44)
  • German (5)
  • South African (3)
  • New Zealand (1)

Served in

  • Army (1794)
  • Air Force (13)
  • Miscellaneous (1)
  • Navy (1)
Vlamertinghe New MC
PDF – 155.6 KB