Mill Switch British Cemetery, Tilloy-les-Cambrai

Historical  Information (Source: CWGC)

Tilloy village was captured by the Canadian Corps at the end of September 1918, and the cemetery was made by the Corps Burial Officer in the following month. The name is due to a switch line from the Cambrai-Douai railway which ran in September 1918, to a large German supply dump on the site of the mill 800 metres North-West of the cemetery.


There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 281 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall. Forty-seven of the graves in this cemetery were brought after the Armistice from Cameron Cemetery, Tilloy-lez-Cambrai, which stood near the South-West side of the railway line almost due West of the village. It was made by the Canadian Corps Burial Officer in October, 1918. It contained the graves of 47 Canadian soldiers, 34 of whom belonged to the 43rd Battalion.


Served with

  • Canadian (101)
  • United Kingdom (3)

Served in

  • Army (104)
Mill Switch BC
PDF – 25.2 KB