Beaurevoir British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Beaurevoir was attacked by the 2nd Australian Division on the 3rd October, 1918, and taken by the 25th Division on the 5th. Beaurevoir British Cemetery was made by the 66th Division in October, 1918, when officers and men who fell in the early part of that month were buried; and after the Armistice the graves of 70 who died in 1917-18, and were buried in the Communal Cemetery German Extension, were brought in to Rows AA, BB, B, C and G.
There are now nearly 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, almost 50 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to four soldiers from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. The British Cemetery covers an area of 935 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble stone wall.
- United Kingdom (179)
- South African (64)
- Australian (1)
- Army (243)
- Miscellaneous (1)
(photo courtesy of Reading Borough Libraries)
A POPULAR CHAPLAIN.
The late Rev. J. G. ALDRIDGE, C.F.,
South African Expeditionary Force,
son of Mr. G. Aldridge,
66, Oxford Road, Reading.
Killed in action at Beaurevoir, October 8th, 1918. Aged 45, he was one of the best known Congregational ministers in Cape Colony, where he had resided about 20 years. He was pastor in Johannesburg, and came over as a representative of the National Y.M.C.A. Council of S.A. to serve with the South African Brigade in France.