Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Corbie was about 20 kilometres behind the front when Commonwealth forces took over the line from Berles-au-Bois southward to the Somme in July 1915. The town immediately became a medical centre, with Nos 5 and 21 Casualty Clearing Stations based at La Neuville (the suburb across the Ancre) until October 1916 and April 1917 respectively. In November 1916 the front moved east, but the German advance in the Spring of 1918 came within 10 kilometres of the town and brought with it field ambulances of the 47th Division and the 12th Australian Field Ambulance. The communal cemetery was used for burials until May 1916, when the plot set aside was filled and the extension opened. The majority of the graves in the extension are of officers and men who died of wounds in the 1916 Battle of the Somme. The remainder relate to the fighting of 1918. The communal cemetery contains 249 First World War burials, the extension 918. The extension was designed by Charles Holden.

 

Cemetery

Served with

  • United Kingdom (246)
  • Indian (4)

Served in

  • Army (250)

Extension

Served with

  • United Kingdom (839)
  • Australian (58)
  • South African (27)
  • German (1)

Served in

  • Army (920)
  • Air Force (5)
Corbie Com Ext
PDF – 36.5 KB