Bertenacre Military Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
The cemetery was made by French troops (as the Cemetery "du Calvaire de Bertenacre", from the crucifix on the main road), and used in July-September, 1918, after the Battles of the Lys, by the 36th (Ulster) Division. After the Armistice the 115 French and two German graves were removed, and British graves were brought in from the following cemetery:- ROYAL WEST SURREY CEMETERY, Fletre, was about 460 metres to the South-East. It contained the graves of 42 soldiers from the United Kingdom killed in an enemy air raid on the 18th August, 1917 (of whom 38 belonged to the 10th Queen's), and one Canadian soldier who fell in June, 1918.
There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 and over 30, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. One grave from the 1914-18 War, destroyed by shell fire, is represented by a special memorial. Most of the burials from the 1939-45 War were men of the 5th Cinque Ports Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment. The cemetery covers an area of 716 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.
- United Kingdom (141)
- Canadian (2)
- Army (143)