Chaudfontaine Stalag 1A Monument
Commemorates 484 Belgian prisoners of war who died in the German camp Stalag 1A during the Second World War. The central camp was at Stablack in East Prussia (presently Bagrationovsk in Russian Kaliningrad) and was spread over several command posts.
The camp was built in late 1939 by Polish prisoners of war. In 1940 the Poles were joined by Belgian and French prisoners, and by Russians in 1941. Some British and Italian prisoners were also there. On 25 January 1945, as Russian troops approached, the camp was abandoned and all prisoners were evacuated to the west.
The memorial contains an urn with ground taken by Russian veterans in the cemetery of the Stablack camp.