Assevillers New British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Assevillers was taken by the French in the autumn of 1916, evacuated by the Fifth Army on the 26th March, 1918, and retaken by the 5th Australian Division on the 28th August, 1918. A number of cemeteries were made by the French troops at Assevillers, and in one ("E"), at the West end of the village, 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by Field Ambulances in February and March, 1917; they are now reburied in Fouquescourt British Cemetery. Assevillers New British Cemetery was made after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the battlefields of the Somme and from other burial grounds.
There are over 800, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, two-fifths are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 25 soldiers and one airman from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of nine soldiers and two airmen from the United Kingdom, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 2,655 square metres and is enclosed by a stone rubble wall.
- Australian (100)
- Canadian (2)
- South African (8)
- United Kingdom (375)
- Air Force (5)
- Army (480)