Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Sailly-Saillisel, standing at the north end of a ridge, was the objective of French attacks in September and October 1916, and was captured on 18 October. The village remained in Allied hands until 24 March 1918 when it was lost during the German advance, but was recaptured by the 18th and 38th (Welsh) Division on 1 September 1918. The cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in isolated positions chiefly south and east of the village and from small burial grounds.
The cemetery now contains 771 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 300 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to eight casualties known or believed to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.