Savy British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Savy was taken by the 32nd Division on the 1st April 1917, after hard fighting, and Savy Wood on the 2nd. On the 21st March 1918 Savy and Roupy were successfully defended by the 30th Division, but the line was withdrawn after nightfall. The village and the wood were retaken on the 17th September 1918 by the 34th French Division, fighting on the right of the British IX Corps. Savy British Cemetery was made in 1919, and the graves from the battlefields and from the small cemeteries in the neighbourhood.
There are now over 850, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, more than half are unidentified. Memorials are erected in the cemetery to 68 soldiers (chiefly of the 19th King's Liverpools and the 17th Manchesters), buried by the Germans in their cemetery on the St. Quentin-Roupy road, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The Cemetery covers an area of 2,555 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall.
- United Kingdom (429)
- German (1)
- Army (428)
- Air Force (2)