Serre Memorial Chapel
Chapelle de souvenir Serre-Hébuterne
On 14th June 1925 a memorial to the French regiments was unveiled within the cemetery and in 1936 work was commenced on this small chapel opposite the cemetery.
On the steps leading up to the chapel from the road is a small plaque placed by Souvenir Français honouring the French units of their 56e Division d’Infanterie as well as exhorting those soldiers; German and French who were embroiled in the bloody battle; to rest in peace.
On the left of the chapel porch is a large plaque which is quiet difficult to read. It is to the memory of Maître Joseph de la Rue who was the Aumonier (Chaplain) to both the 243e RI and 233e RI during the Great War and continued to serve the armed forces throughout the Second World War.
He was instrumental in the creation of the military cemetery opposite.