Desplanque Farm Cemetery, La Chapelle-d'Armentieres
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
The village of La Chapelle-d'Armentieres was in British hands from October 1914 until the fall of Armentieres on the 10th April 1918, and it was retaken in the following October. During the British occupation it was very close to the front line, and the cemeteries which it contains are those made by fighting units and Field Ambulances in the earlier days of trench warfare. Desplanque Farm Cemetery stands behind a farm, now rebuilt, which was used at first as a dressing station and later as an observation post. It was begun in October 1914 by units of the 6th Division, and used until June 1916.
There are now over 50, 1914-1918 war casualties buried in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 473 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.
- United Kingdom (45)
- Australian (8)
- Army (53)