Nieuwkerke (Neuve-Eglise) Churchyard
History Information (Source: CWGC)
Nieuwkerke (also known as Neuve-Eglise) was captured by the Germans on from 14 April 1918, after a stubborn defence by the 49th (West Riding) and 33rd Division, and remained in their hands until it was retaken by the 36th (Ulster) Division on 2 September. The churchyard was used by field ambulances and fighting units at intervals during the war, particularly, in the early days, by the Cvalry and the 5th Division. During the Second World War, the British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk.
Nieuwkerke Churchyard contains 92 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and ten from the Second World War. There are also four war graves of other nationalities within the churchyard.
· United Kingdom (86)
· Australian (10)
· New Zealand (5)
· Belgian (3)
· Canadian (1)
· Indian (1)
· Army (106)