Balgerhoeke M4A4 Sherman Tank
In 1990, the municipality of Eeklo ordered a Sherman tank to be placed next to the lock of Balgerhoeke in honor of the Canadian Liberators, namely the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, all Canadian units involved and the South Alberta Regiment which was the RECCE Regiment, commanded by Colonel Gordon D. de S. "Swatty" Wotherspoon and was the eyes, ears and nose for the 4th Armoured Division.
The Unit Serial and Arm of Service Sign "45" has been applied, as well as the Formation Sign of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, to which the South Alberta Regiment at that time has served. On the turret, a white circle was provided, namely the Tactical Signs from the C squadron of the South Alberta Regiment. To be precise, on September 15, 1944, the first tanks which drove into Eeklo were a section of the RECCE troop and C squadron of the South Alberta Regiment, this as a harbinger of the imminent liberation of Eeklo and surroundings. In the white circle, the number "19" was placed, referring to the Officer Commanding, namely none other than Major David Currie ; who above all that is the only Canadian soldier to whom a "Victoria Cross" was awarded during the Normandy campaign, and the only Victoria Cross ever awarded to a member of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps. To complete this amazing initiative, on the tank of Balgerhoeke, the name was provided of Dave Currie’s memorable Sherman tank…
On Monday, July 29, 2013, a large Canadian delegation with several representatives of the SARVA, SALHRA and SALH was officially welcomed at the City Hall of Eeklo, Belgium. For this event the Mayor of Eeklo, Mr. Koen Loete, had the privilege to announce that the tank of Balgerhoeke, in accordance to all the mentioned grounds, as from today always will be known as " CLANKY ".