Dury Mill British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
In August 1918, Dury was behind the German defence system known as the Drocourt-Queant line; but on the 2nd September this line was broken by the Canadian and XVII Corps, and Dury village and the hill just South of it (Mont Dury, or Dury Ridge) were captured. The Mill (Moulin Damiens) stood beside the road from Dury to Villers-les-Cagnicourt, and was destroyed. The cemetery was begun by Canadian units on the 5th September 1918, and closed sixteen days later.
There are now 335 First World War casualties buried in this cemetery. Of these 12 are unidentified. This cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
- Canadian (314)
- United Kingdom (9)
- Army (320)
- Air Force (3)
Private DOONAN, EDWARD RALPH Service Number 3081367
Born 29/01/1891 - Died 02/09/1918 Aged 27
87th Bn. Canadian Infantry
INSCRIPTION: MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE
Plot 2 Row B Grave 42
Born in Capelton, Quebec to William and Annie Short Doonan.
Lennoxville (St-Antoine), Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada
8th February 1891 the undersigned priest baptized Edward Ralph born on 29th January, child of William Doonan, Miner at Capelton and Annie Short. Sponsors: John Hayes and Helen Short aunt.
He joined the military in January of 1918. He brother Fredrick was killed in action during an attack on an enemy position Southwest of Dury, near the "jumping off" trench on 2 September of 1918 and is buried at Calais.