Raillencourt Communal Cemetery Extension
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Raillencourt village was captured by the Canadian Corps on 28 September 1918, in the Battle of the Canal du Nord. The extension to the communal cemetery was made by the Canadian Corps after the capture of the village. It was enlarged in 1923 when graves were brought in from:- North Cemetery, Raillencourt, which was situated between Raillencourt and Cambrai, behind the houses of St. Olle. It was made by the 8th Infantry Brigade and named after Lieut. J. W. North, who was buried in it. It contained the graves of 67 Canadian soldiers (63 of whom belonged to the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles) and five others.
The cemetery now contains 199 First World War burials, eight of them unidentified. The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.
- Canadian (182)
- United Kingdom (11)
- Army (193)