Fricourt British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
On 30 June 1916, Fricourt village was just within the German front line. It was attacked on 1 July by the 17th Division, and by the end of the day it was caught between that division to the west, the 21st to the north and the 7th to the south. the village was occupied by the 17th Division the following day. From 25 March 1918 to the following 26 August, Fricourt was again in German hands. Two cemeteries were made by the 17th Division, and most of the dead buried in them belonged to that division. Fricourt British Cemetery (Bray Road) was made by the 7th East Yorkshire Regiment between 5 and 11 July 1916. It was used until the end of October, and again (for four burials) in 1918.
The cemetery contains 133 burials and commemorations of the First World War. One of the burials is unidentified and a special memorial commemorates one casualty known to be buried in the cemetery whose grave could not be located. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.
- United Kingdom (131)
- New Zealand (1)
- Army (132)