Wytschaete Military Cemetery

History Information (Source: CWGC)

Wytschaete (now Wijtschate) was taken by the Germans early in November 1914. It was recovered by Commonwealth forces during the Battle of Messines on 7 June 1917, but fell into German hands once more on 16 April 1918. The village was recovered for the last time on 28 September. The cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from isolated positions surrounding Wytschaete and small battlefield cemeteries.

 

There are now 1,002 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 673 of the burials are unidentified, but there are special memorials to 16 casualties known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials commemorate casualties known to have been buried at the Cemetery near Rossignol Estaminet, RE (Beaver) Farm and Rest and be Thankful Farm, whose graves could not be found on concentration. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

 

Served with

·         United Kingdom (312)

·         Australian (11)

·         Canadian (5)

·         New Zealand (1)

·         South African (1)

Served in

·         Army (329)

·         Air Force (1)

Wytschaete MC
PDF – 715.0 KB