Calais Southern Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

In April 1915, No.6 Base Supply Depot was started at Calais to help relieve the pressure on Boulogne and to provide a base nearer to the front than Le Havre or Rouen. The base remained open until the last Commonwealth forces left France in March 1921. The 30th, 35th and 38th General Hospitals, No.9 British Red Cross Hospital and No.10 Canadian Stationary Hospital were also stationed in the town, providing about 2,500 beds. From May 1915 to March 1918, Commonwealth burials were made in Calais Southern Cemetery. Subsequent interments were made in the new military cemetery at Les Baraques.

 

The cemetery now contains 721 First World War burials. There are also 224 burials of the Second World War, 56 of them unidentified, the majority dating from May 1940. The Commonwealth plot was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.  To find the Commonwealth War Graves, proceed along the main pathway to the rear left hand side of the Cemetery.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (805)
  • Australian (34)
  • Canadian (33)
  • New Zealand (12)
  • South African (1)

Served in

  • Army (836)
  • Navy (18)
  • Air Force (17)
  • Merchant Navy (13)
  • Miscellaneous (1)
Calais Southern Cem
PDF – 35.5 KB