Salome Kriegsgräberstätte - German War Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: Volksbund)
3,552 war casualties of the First World War rest on this war cemetery. 3,548 Germans, 2 Portuguese, 2 deaths of the Austro-Hungarian Empire Austria-Ung. army.
The German military cemetery Salomé was created in January 1916 by the German troops. It was used for the burial of German soldiers or soldiers who had died from their wounds until July 1918. Fallen people from 1914 and 1915 also found their final resting place there, which at that time could only be provisionally buried on the battlefield during the fighting. The majority of the dead were victims of the uninterrupted war of positions for La Basseé and the surrounding area, the battles in spring and autumn 1917 and the German attacks in spring 1918. After the war, the French military authorities enlarged the cemetery by dissolving the other cemeteries in Salomé itself and in The neighboring towns. A large part of the unidentifiable German dead were relocated to St. Laurent-Blangy near Arras. The dead belonged to troops whose home garrisons were in Bavaria, Baden, Westphalia, Oldenburg, Hanover, Schleswig-Holstein, Pomerania, Brandenburg, Saxony, West Prussia and the Rhineland.