Cerisy-Gailly French National Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Gailly was the site of the 39th and 13th Casualty Clearing Stations during the early part of 1917, and of the 41st Stationary Hospital from May 1917 to March 1918. The villages were then captured by the Germans, but were retaken by the Australian Corps in August 1918. Cerisy-Gailly French National Cemetery was begun by a clearing hospital of the French Tenth Army in February 1916. The Commonwealth plots are on the western side of it, and were made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields of the Somme. The great majority of these soldiers died in the Battle of the Somme in 1916.
The cemetery now contains 393 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 296 of which are unidentified.
The French military cemetery contains the remains of 990 French soldiers from WW1.Most of the casualties buried here died during the Battle of the Somme in the summer of 1916.
- Australian (37)
- Canadian (3)
- United Kingdom (57)
- Army (97)