Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC - Wikipedia)
From October 1914 to September 1917, casualty clearing stations were posted at Hazebrouck. The Germans shelled and bombed the town between September 1917 and September 1918 making it unsafe for hospitals, but in September and October 1918, No.9 British Red Cross Hospital was stationed there. Commonwealth burials began in the communal cemetery in October 1914 and continued until July 1918. At first, they were made among the civilian graves, but after the Armistice these earlier burials were moved into the main Commonwealth enclosure. During the Second World War, Hazebrouck was garrisoned and was on the western flank of the area occupied by the British Expedionary Force until May 1940. The cemetery was used again, mainly for the burial of those killed in late May 1940 during the fighting which covered the retreat of the BEF to the Dunkirk-Nieuport perimeter
There is a Field of Honor with French War Graves from the First World War and a plot with French veterans from the First and Second World War, Indochine and Algeria.