Y Farm Military Cemetery, Bois-Grenier

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

The cemetery was named after a nearby farm, called by the Army "Y" (or Wye) Farm. It was begun in March 1915 and used by units holding this sector until February 1918. At the Armistice it contained 335 burials, but it was then increased when graves were brought in from the battlefields south of Armentieres.

 

Y Farm Military Cemetery now contains 835 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 288 of the burials are unidentified and a special memorial commemorates one New Zealand casualty believed to be buried among them. Another special memorial commemorates an Indian soldier known to have been buried in Marquillies Communal Cemetery German Extension whose grave could not be found. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (373)
  • Australian (91)
  • New Zealand (42)
  • Canadian (22)
  • Indian (20)
  • South African (3)
  • German (2)

Served in

  • Army (545)
  • Air Force (8)
Y Farm MC, Bois-Grenier
PDF – 658.1 KB

Private John Edward RUTHERFORD

Service N° 4227

 

54th Bn Australian Infantry

 

KIA 17 August 1916 - age 26

 

 

Military File

NAA_ItemNumber 8073528
PDF – 4.9 MB