Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Villers-Faucon was captured by the 5th Cavalry Division on 27 March 1917, lost on 22 March 1918, and retaken by III Corps on 7 September 1918. The Commonwealth graves in the Communal Cemetery are those of soldiers who died in February-August 1917, or (in the case of two who are buried in Row B) in September 1918. They were made by the cavalry, the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division, and other fighting troops.
The communal cemetery contains 227 First World War burials, five of them unidentified, and 91 German graves.
The Extension was begun in April 1917 and used until March 1918. It was then used by the Germans, and Commonwealth burials were resumed in September and October 1918. Further Commonwealth graves were brought in after the Armistice from a wide area round Villers-Faucon.
The extension contains 459 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 144 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to six casualties believed to be buried among them. The extension also contains 66 German graves, 33 being unidentified. The Commonwealth plots were designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
- United Kingdom (223)
- German (80)
- Army (301)
- Air Force (2)
- United Kingdom (297)
- German (33)
- Indian (10)
- Australian (7)
- New Zealand (1)
- Army (347)
- Navy (1)