Mailly Wood Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Mailly-Maillet was within the line taken over from the French in the summer of 1915, and several Commonwealth cemeteries were made in the commune. Mailly Wood Cemetery was begun with the burial of thirteen men of the 2nd Seaforth Highlanders who died on 25 June 1916, and in November 1916, the 51st (Highland) Division buried in it following the capture of Beaumont Hamel. Thereafter, the cemetery was little used until April-August 1918, when the German attack on Amiens brought the front line very close, and further burials were made by the 12th Division (in May) and the 21st (in August), among others. After the Armistice graves from the battlefields immediately north-east of the village were brought into the cemetery, and 30 graves from MAILLY MAILLET MILITARY CEMETERY in the village itself.

 

The cemetery now contains 702 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 60 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to two casualties whose graves in the cemetery could not be found, and to six whose graves in the military cemetery were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (616)
  • New Zealand (25)
  • South African (3)

Served in

  • Army (631)
  • Navy (12)
  • Air Force (1)
Mailly Wood Cem
PDF – 34.0 KB