Westvleteren Belgian Military Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
Westvleteren Belgian Military Cemetery contains one Commonwealth burial of the First World War. French soldiers started this cemetery in the autumn of 1914. Only by June 1916, the Belgians took it over. After the war, the site was enlarged and the French soldiers were relocated. This cemetery became one of the nine Belgian military cemeteries in West-Flanders. A total of 1 207 soldiers found their last resting-place, including 33 unidentified.
The cemetery has a rectangular floor plan with an area of more than 6,000 m². The headstones stand in rows back to back. Most tombstones are official Belgian, although there are still 14 heroes' tributes. At the back is a flagpole with the Belgian flag and a Calvary on the left.