Courrieres Kriegsgräberstätte - German War Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: Volksbund)
2,216 German war casualties of the First World War rest on this war cemetery.
The German military cemetery Courrières was created by the German troops in autumn 1914. Most of the dead who were resting here were taken to the military hospital in Courrières as seriously wounded and died there. Their troops were involved in the heavy fighting of the autumn of 1914 and the spring and autumn of 1915 in the area between Arras and La Bassée. The position war waged with bitterness also claimed many victims. Losses were particularly high in the course of the "Easter Battle near Arras" in spring 1917 and the major British attack in Flanders, which lasted from July to December, and the German attack in April 1918 towards Armentiers-Kemmelberg.
Another part of those who died here died as a result of the Allied large-scale attack from July to September 1918. After the end of the war, the French military authorities enlarged the cemetery considerably by adding extra beds from the surrounding communities. The dead belonged to troops whose home garrisons were in Silesia, Saxony, Thuringia, Anhalt, Pomerania, Schleswig-Holstein, Hanover, Oldenburg, Westphalia, Baden, Bavaria, Alsace, Lorraine and in the Rhineland.