Bazentin-le-Petit Military Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Bazentin was in German hands until 14 July 1916 when the 3rd and 7th Divisions captured the two villages (and the communal cemetery) and held them against counter-attacks, and the 21st Division captured Bazentin-le-Petit Wood. The ground was lost in April 1918 during the great German advance but recaptured on the following 25 August by the 38th (Welsh) Division. The military cemetery was begun at the end of July 1916 (initially called Singer Circus Cemetery) and used as a front-line cemetery until May 1917. It contains 182 First World War burials, 15 of them unidentified.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (104)
  • Australian (55)
  • South African (9)

Served in

  • Army (167)
  • Navy (1)
Bazentin Le Petit MC
PDF – 25.5 KB