Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Harbonnieres was captured by French troops in the summer of 1916. It was retaken by the Germans on 27 April 1918, and regained by the Australian Corps on 8 August 1918. Heath Cemetery, so called from the wide expanse of open country on which it stands, was made after the Armistice, next to a French Military Cemetery, now removed. Graves were brought into it from the battlefields between Bray and Harbonnieres and from other burial grounds in the area.

 

There are now 1,860 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 369 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to 26 casualties known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of 21 casualties buried in other cemeteries, whose graves could not be found. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

 

Served with

  • Australian (910)
  • United Kingdom (581)
  • Canadian (7)
  • New Zealand (3)

Served in

  • Army (1469)
  • Air Force (32)
Heath Cem Harbonnieres
PDF – 129.2 KB