Mailly-Maillet Communal Cemetery Extension
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Mailly-Maillet was comparatively quiet until the German advance at the end of March 1918. It remained in Allied hands, but was severely shelled and the catacombs under the village were prepared for use by the troops. The extension was begun by French units (mainly Engineers) in June 1915. Commonwealth forces relieved the French here in August 1915, and field ambulances and fighting units continued to use the extension until December 1916, then again in March-July, 1918. The 51 French graves and those of two German prisoners have been removed to other cemeteries.
Mailly-Maillet Communal Cemetery Extension contains 126 First World War burials. The extension was designed by W C Von Berg.
- United Kingdom (122)
- New Zealand (3)
- Canadian (1)
- Army (125)
- Navy (1)