Monchy British Cemetery, Monchy-le-Preux
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Monchy village, a relatively high and commanding position, was captured by Commonwealth forces on 11 April 1917. The cemetery was begun at once and continued in use as a front-line cemetery until the German offensive of March 1918, when it fell into their hands. It was recaptured by the Canadian Corps on 26 August and used again for a month. The graves are very closely identified with the divisions which fought on this front, for example the 37th, 12th (Eastern), 4th and 15th (Scottish) Divisions.
There are now 581 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 58 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to a number of casualties known to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.