Ghissignies British Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Ghissignies village was taken by the 37th Division on the 24th October, 1918. Ghissignies Churchyard contained, near the North-West corner, the graves of two soldiers of the 37th Battalion Machine Gun Corps, who fell on 4 November 1918; but these graves were concentrated into the British Cemetery in 1928. In Ghissignies British Cemetery, Row A was made after the capture of the village and contains almost exclusively the graves of soldiers of the 37th Division; Row B was made, and one grave was added to Row A, by the concentration of graves after the Armistice. All but three of the graves concentrated to Ghissignies British Cemetery came from two burial grounds.


There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and a special memorial records the name of another soldier from the United Kingdom, buried by the enemy at Locquignol, whose grave could not be found. The cemetery covers an area of 617 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.


Served with

  • United Kingdom (118)

Served in

  • Army (116)
  • Air Force (2)
Ghissignies BC
PDF – 16.5 KB