Hermies British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Hermies village was seized on the morning of the 9th April 1917, by a surprise attack of the 2nd and 3rd Australian Infantry Battalions. It was held against the advancing Germans on the 22nd March 1918, by the 17th Division, but evacuated on the following day; and it was retaken in September 1918. It was later "adopted", with Havrincourt, by the County Borough of Huddersfield. The cemetery was made in April-December 1917, by fighting units and Field Ambulances.
There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom, who is believed to be one of them. Eight graves in Rows A and B, identified as a whole but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the additional words "Buried near this spot". The cemetery covers an area of 731 square metres and is enclosed by a low brick wall.
- United Kingdom (81)
- Australian (26)
- Army (106)
- Air Force (1)