Manicourt Kriegsgräberstätte - German War Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: Volksbund)
7326 German war dead First World War
The German military cemetery Manicourt was laid out in September 1914 by the rear services of the German troops. The first to be buried were those who fell from the fighting during the so-called "Race to the Sea". Further deaths occurred in the winter of 1914/15 during the trench warfare. However, the majority of the dead found their grave here during the summer battles of 1916 and 1918.
In 1922, the French military authorities significantly expanded the cemetery by relocating 59 parish areas within a radius of 20 km. The dead in the first years of the war belonged to troops from West Prussia, Pomerania, Schleswig-Holstein, Hesse, Bavaria, Alsace-Lorraine, the Hanseatic cities of Bremen, Hamburg and Lübeck as well as the Prussian Guard. Fallen soldiers from almost all countries of the Reich and Prussian provinces rest here from the summer battles of 1916 and 1918.