Saint George's Memorial Church
The Ypres League contacted Sir Reginald Blomfield to draw plans for a memorial church. The first location that was considered was by the Rijselpoort (Lille Gate) near to the Ramparts cemetery. The town council however, objected to this so the search for a more suitable location continued. The fundraising for the church however, continued apace. The death of the president in 1925, Field Marshal French, gave renewed vigour to the campaign. The site which was suggested by the town council was also located on the ramparts near to the ‘Leeuwentoren’ (Lion’s Tower) but this suggestion was rejected by the Bishop of Fulham as it was located too far from the city centre. Finally, through the help of the Imperial War Graves Commission a suitable plot of land was found on the corner of the A. Vandenpeereboomplein. The land was duly purchased of the widow of Arthur Merghelynck, town archivist and founder of the Merghelynck museum. Now work could start in earnest. The idea to build a school, attached to the church had already been discussed. The school would be paid for by donations made by Old Etonians and would serve as a memorial to the approximately three hundred and forty pupils who had given their lives in the Ypres Salient.
In the spring of 1927, Blomfield's plans were complete. He had designed a simple space that would be able to accommodate 200 people. The interior furnishings were to be provided by families of the fallen. Almost every item in the church serves as a permanent memorial to a soldier who gave his life in France and Flanders. There are also memorials to people who died in the Second World War. The school too was simply designed, comprising of one classroom and a staff room.
The Bishop of Fulham opened the church and the school on 24th March 1929, Palm Sunday. The school opened its doors to receive the first pupils on 9th April 1929.