Douai Communal Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Douai was occupied by French troops and the Royal Naval Air Service on the 22nd September, 1914, and captured by the Germans on the 1st October; it remained in enemy hands until the 17th October, 1918. The 42nd Casualty Clearing Station was posted in the town from the 28th October, 1918, to the 25th November, 1919. Douai Communal Cemetery was used during the occupation years of 1914-18 by the Germans for prisoners of war and British, French, Russian, Rumanian and Italian soldiers, as well as German soldiers were buried in it. During the 1939-45 War Douai was in British hands until the German break through in May, 1940. The 1st Corps Headquarters were at Cuincy, on the western edge of the town, from October, 1939 onwards and Douai was one of the towns from which the Allied advance into Belgium was launched early in May, 1940, only to be followed by the collapse of the French and Belgian units and the consequent withdrawal of the British element towards Dunkirk.


There are now 222 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war commemorated in this site, 19 being unidentified and a further 46 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war here.


There are also 247 French, 113 Russsian and 13 Romanian burials of the 1914-1918 war here.


Served with

  • United Kingdom (224)
  • Russian (106)
  • Canadian (14)
  • Romanian (12)
  • Australian (7)
  • New Zealand (3)
  • South African (1)

Served in

  • Army (350)
  • Air Force (14)
  • Navy (3)
Douai Com Cem
PDF – 492.7 KB