Highland Cemetery, Le Cateau
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
After the Battle of Le Cateau (26 August 1914), the town remained in German hands until the middle of October 1918. The original cemetery (Plot III) was made by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division after the fighting of 17 October; the name of Highland Cemetery is suggestive at once of the comparatively high ground on which it stands and of the 32 graves of the 13th (Scottish Horse) Battalion, Black Watch, found in this plot. The cemetery was greatly enlarged after the Armistice when graves of October and November 1918 were brought in from isolated positions on all sides of Le Cateau.
Highland Cemetery now contains 624 First World War burials. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.
- Australian (1)
- Canadian (13)
- South African (16)
- United Kingdom (521)
- Army (561)