La Targette British Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

La Targette British Cemetery, formerly known as Aux-Rietz Military Cemetery, was begun at the end of April 1917 and used by field ambulances and fighting units until September 1918. Nearly a third of the graves have an artillery connection; in March-April 1917, the artillery of the 2nd Canadian and 5th Divisions, and certain heavy artillery units, had their headquarters in a deep cave at Aux-Rietz. Sixteen graves were brought into the cemetery from the immediate neighbourhood after the Armistice and a further 26 sets of First World War remains were added during the Second World War.

 

The cemetery contains 638 First World War burials, 41 of them unidentified. There are also three Second World War burials, two of which are unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

 

Served with

·         United Kingdom (298)

·         Canadian (295)

·         Indian (3)

·         South African (3)

Served in

·         Army (596)

·         Air Force (2)

·         Navy (1)

La Targette BC
PDF – 32.3 KB