Meerut Military Cemetery, St. Martin-les-Boulogne
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
The Meerut Stationary Hospital was established at Boulogne from October 1914, when the Indian Corps arrived in France, to November 1915, when they left; the Cemetery is named after the hospital. The majority of the Egyptian labourers buried here were killed in the air raid over Boulogne on the night of 4-5 September 1917.
The cemetery contains 339 burials and commemorations of the First World War, including a memorial to 32 officers and men of the Indian Army, whose bodies were cremated in the cemetery in 1915. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.
· Indian (312)
· United Kingdom (25)
· Army (335)
· Merchant Navy (2)