Caix Kriegsgräberstätte – German War Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: Volksbund)
1.264 German war graves of the First World War.
The German military cemetery Caix was created by the German troops at the end of March 1918, when it had advanced through Montdidier and Moreuil until shortly before Amiens in the course of their spring offensive - the "Great Battle of France". Until the Allies regained control of the Caix area in August 1918, burials continued to take place. Approx. 30 of those buried here died as prisoners of war in 1918 - 1919. From 1922 the French military authorities expanded the cemetery with extensive additional beds from 34 other municipal areas. Many of the dead were only found when the battlefield was cleared up and also transferred to Caix from distances of up to 30 km in order to find their final resting place here. Those who rested here belonged to the Prussian Guard and to troops who had their home garrisons in Bavaria, Hesse, Württemberg, Westphalia, Saxony, Hanover, Oldenburg, East Frisia, Poznan, Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg and the Rhineland.