Beaucamps-Ligny Kriegsgräberstätte - German War Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: Volksbund)
2,628 German war dead, of these 2,070 are buried in individual graves; 108 remained nameless. In the 12 community graves with 558 victims, only six are known by name.
The German military cemetery Beaucamps-Ligny was created by the German troops in May 1915 during the loss-making battles between Armentières and La Bassée. Almost 1000 of those who died here died from May to December 1915. In addition, there were deaths from the 1916 and 1917 position war, as well as casualties who lost their lives during the major British attack from July to October 1917. In 1920, 1921 and 1923, the French military authorities buried a large number of German dead from the surrounding community.
The dead belonged to troops whose home garrisons were mainly in Bavaria, but also in Westphalia, Silesia, Saxony, Hanover, Thuringia, Hesse, Baden, Württemberg and on the Lower Rhine.